Sunday, December 16, 2012

My first love, of the bird variety.


It's a bit funny to think about my first favorite bird.

It is a tossup between the American Robin and the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

My grandmother really enjoyed feeding and watching birds. Working at OU she would often see George M. Sutton around campus and they would talk about birds. Growing up we would spend a lot of time at her house. She fed birds and we were in charge of filling the feeders and washing the bird bath. She lived outside of town. Having had many acres, we spent hours upon hours playing outside. We made forts, tree houses and generally getting very dirty and having a wonderful time. We filled the hummingbird feeders and watched as a lot of hummingbirds consumed the nectar that she had made. My grandmother died several years ago. Her house has been sold twice since her death. The new owners have changed not only the inside but outside of the house as well. My mother has her bird book that she had recorded her sighting and dates. I have her bird bath. When I think of my grandmother (which is everyday) I think of the birds and most often, the hummingbirds.

American Robin

There was a song about a Robin we would sing in elementary school, I don't remember how the song goes. The Robin is easily identifiable and is often associated with spring. Robins, in Oklahoma, are here year round. In the fall and winter I often see Robins with the Cedar Waxwings. Both types of birds are looking for the same kind of food, fruits and invertebrates. I have also seen them at the same water source. When I used to work in my grandmother's garden there would be a Robin sit near and watch the happening.


So what bird is my favorite now?

There is no way to answer that question.

I spend at least 7 hours a day talking about birds and wildlife. I help people decide what feeders, seeds/ food, and nesting boxes will meet their birding needs. Yes it is the best job in the world. I blog, facebook, and tweet about birds and get paid to do so. Sweet! Most Sundays I am out in the field birding....and taking photos.There is no way to pick my favorite bird. It is usually the bird I am seeing through my lense.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love visiting with you at the store! Thank you for all of your info. We love your blog. See you soon, Matt and Rose

Anonymous said...

My mother loved the hummingbirds. Everytime I see the hummingbirds I think of her.

Anonymous said...

:)